Wednesday 2 September 2015

Inductions 2015 Day one.

Today was the first day of the 2015 inductions. After having throat problems during the summer, resulting in two throat operations, I was pretty concerned with having to start this year's inductions, having to talk for hours on end is going to be tough. But day one is done, only 8 days left.

Day one, 5 inductions over the course of the day, which I did 4 of them. This year I was asked to create a simply Harvard referencing guide for students on day one. To me this felt a little harsh...welcome to the college, now lets learn Harvard referencing. My work sheet was aimed at 16 year old, and was a simple fill in the blanks form

But the sessions went pretty well. The first, as a little ropey, I missed some information out and my usually well organised speech was a little jumbled. By the second group  I was feeling more relaxed and started to enjoy the experience. I will reflect on this for my fellowship.

Having a new cohort of student in the college does give the place a buzz, but it takes some time to get the students to learn our rules. Firstly I had to explain to a student why they should not be smoking on college ground- clearly ignoring the large sites requesting people do not smoke on the site. Or having to explain to loved up students that the library is a place for learning, reading and researching not kissing.

Though I have to say the funniest part of the day was over hearing a conversation in the girl's toilets.
Girl one: do you know how to spell gangster?
Girl two: g-a-n-s-t-e-r
Girl one: (typing in to her phone)- no that's not right... it's GANG- STER
Girl two: oh you want the right spelling.

Generally I was quite confused about this, but it did make me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment