Sunday 20 September 2015

CILIP update July/August highlights

After finally having half an hour to myself, I managed to read CILIP update July/August issue- yes I know I am about a month behind the rest of the world. But what can I say, it's been a busy couple of weeks.

Early in the issue, the future of libraries report by Arup is highlighted http://publications.arup.com/Publications/F/Future_Libraries.aspx and one that I intended to read. The report focuses on the every changing landscape of libraries, how libraries deal with collaboration within all sectors of the profession.  Something I need to look into, when I next get an hour free.

The July/August issue focuses on three main topics, Ebooks which is probably the only element which is looking at Educational libraries, CILIP still heavily focuses on Public libraries. This issue also looks at the CILIP conference and Carnigie and Kate Greenaway award.

What interested me the most of this issue was two articles on libraries changing LMS. Currently I am reading through 4 tendering documents, as I am looking to change LMS within the next 2 years- hopefully 12 months. The article discussed the new innovative project by Swansea University combining LMS with NHS libraries across Wales. They have selected Ex Libris Alma , which is a big system that functions well over large or multiple sites. With the added bonus of having Primo. Later in the issue London's Natural History Museum has also opted  to change to Ex Libris Alma system.

As we are currently looking to move to a new system, we first created a modest list of 25 "wish list" items. This list took a long time to formulate, within a small team. Having to compile this list whilst not causing any negative impact on either service and improving what is offered to both must have been a massive task, with a tremendous amount of planning and negotiating. Considering my current project at work this is a story which I want to follow.

Moving on to another article that caught my eye, is the mention of the Library of Birmingham, having lived nearby and visited the library a while ago http://artlibrary-donnag.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/library-of-birmingham.html. This does seem to be a good news story, linking services and resources to the British Library. It's good to hear something positive following the news earlier in the year about a reduction in stock, staffing and opening hours.

The final two articles that interested me, where on the CILIP toolkit, a potentially interesting article in light of the organisations performance appraisal happening in a few weeks. The final article was in connection to the CLA- who are currently at the college doing a 6 week audit. The article informs that the CLA will be making making it easier for universities to buy rights for printed material. I do wonder if this extends to all Higher education institutions or just those with university in the title.

Off to read CILIP update September's issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment