Friday 16 September 2011

Art and design librarian

Having been asked to research in to the role, and changing role of art and design librarians, I found the handbook of art and design librarianship. Which, after only one chapter is a very good read. My research is looking at how academic art libraries will be changing in the future to ensure they stay relevant and how we have changed to get here.

Reading the handbook, I have come across some ideas, such as the non- traditional library jobs, referred to in the book as emerging tasks. When I think of my own role, emerging tasks seem to become more frequent, such as IT help, social networking and of course blogging.

Must read the rest of the book ASAP.

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog via the CPD23 feed, and am slightly nervous about what you think of the book, as I contributed a chapter thereto. It would be great to hear your opinion (she says optimistically) as a practicing art librarian.

    ReplyDelete