Wednesday 18 June 2014

ARLIS meeting

After the train problems of my last trip, due to the Dawlish line breaking, I have finally managed to make it to the ARLIS publications committee meeting. From Plymouth to Reading, I have been proof reading the next art city guide. So 30 minutes to rest before a tube to the V and A. The rest I feel is particularly needed as I currently have laryngitis and tonsillitis, with a very weak voice. Having not spoken for the best part of 4 days, I should be able to do a 2 hour meeting.

Also whilst I am in London, the BA photography students from PCA are having there annual exhibition held at the Old Truman Brewery, which I shall be attending. Which after working with these students for 4 years in some cases, this will be a pleasant surprise when they see me. Plus having been absent from PCA summer show, I feel I have missed out on the celebrations this year. 

Apart from seeing the students work, I intend to spend the next four days in galleries as much as possible, I would like to visit the Tower of London and the Cutty Sark. Plus the wedding dress exhibition at the V and A, having spoken to a collegue yesterday about a dress, I would now like to see it for real. 

By the end of my first day in London, I have realised from the meeting, I need to work I my proof reading skills, starting on my own article about information literacy and that I loved the V and A's wedding dress exhibition. There were several wonderful examples of dresses from decades ago, as well as Gwen Stefani and Kate Moss's wedding dresses. Not to sound like I don't like the royal family, but I did wonder why the busiest part was William and Katherine's wedding highlights on a loop. Which seemed such a shame, you can get that on youtube, but the delicate work of the dresses which told some of England's social history were being almost ignored. 

No comments:

Post a Comment