Friday 29 November 2013

Chartership and beyond

Tuesday I was able to attend the CILIP qualification session on the new regulations. Which first of all is a little confusing because as the trainer said achieving chartership is not a qualification. Which I thought it was, however it turns out it is actually demonstrating a level of achievement and commitment. But the day was good, I met some people I think who could be useful contact for the future. This is one of the reasons why I really enjoy these sessions, you mean people who are connected to your role or right on the edge of your role and they can be really useful in a certain situation as they have experience in a field that is not connected to your own.

The pace of the session was slow enough to write up notes but contained enough information for the session to hold the attention of people thinking about becoming ACLIP, MCLIP and the odd person like me who is thinking about becoming a mentor. 

Having completed my MCLIP, I now would like to give something back, if that makes sense and pay on the favor to another generation of librarians. My mentor was great with me, she was very supportive and everything that she made me do (which in the end I did do) was on the list of things that needed to be completed. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention at the last session which I attended. 

My next step is to register as a mentor and get trained, I have already have 4 people say they would like to have me as a mentor, which is pretty amazing.


One thing that did positively annoy me was if someone with experience in a library now wants to go an get a chartership they need no previous qualifications, I am not saying I only want people with Masters to be librarians. I am not elitist and part of the first generation of my family to obtain a degree. Actually I am the highest qualified person in my family. Getting more people in to librarianship is a good idea, but I don't think making everyone a chartered librarian is the right way forward. Personally I think there sound be different awards depending on your qualifications and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment